Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Coraline

The pictures throughout the book caught my eye. During the first week or so of this class Peter asked us to describe what children’s literature was to us and in my description I wrote about ink illustrations (black and white). When reading children’s literature I expect to either see exaggerated and colorful pictures or jagged ink drawings and this book meets those expectations. I really enjoy the ink illustrations because there is so much more to the pictures and it brings out the emotions better. (Sorry if that doesn’t make sense, it is hard to describe how I feel about what I see in those drawings.) I have the same option of black and white photos taken by people, there is just something special about the lack of “color”.

In the real world people overlook Coraline, mispronounce her name, do not listen to what she says, and are not very affectionate towards her, yet she is a strong individual, who believes in herself and has a strong sense of identity. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book. I like that she was an intelligent, brave, resourceful explorer, who didn’t get discouraged. When she realized that not only her parents and herself but the trapped ghosts were all in danger, she hardly flinched at the idea of saving everyone and stopping the “other mother” from harming the rest of the world. It was wonderful to read of a girl character that had her wits about her and was determined to defeat the horrible creature.

3 comments:

Puppet of Jenova said...

I totally understand what you're saying and it does make sense actually. I mean pictures can tell a thousand words, right? I mean when you look at a picture, sometimes words are not needed. I hate to bring this up, but look back to 9/11. Just looking at the picture of that plane going through that tower speaks volumes and words are not necessary. So, I totally understand what you're trying to say. I also liked the pictures in this book and I think pictures are totally cool because aside from words, when you look at pictures, you can let your imagination run free, that’s the beauty of pictures.

I agree with kevans6689's post and comments. It’s totally cool that you see a brave and strong individual in a book, especially a girl. I mean now at days, most heroes are male and females are supposed to be the ones in danger or scared, but not in this book. Coraline is a sweet and courageous girl who is not afraid of a challenge. Cool post, it was nice seeing your perspective, good job.

Anonymous said...

I also agree that the black and white pictures in the book really tell the story. I loved how simple yet detailed they were. I agree that there is something about black and white pictures that just makes a statement, to where color is not even needed. The pictures kind of remind me of Nightmare on Elm Street with the long pointed fingers. It adds a bit of suspense to the pictures. It also reminds me a great deal of nightmare before Christmas with all the skinny, bone like figures as people. As creepy as some of the pictures were, I definitely still enjoyed them.

I like Coraline's character in this book. It is the first book we've read where the female character was strong, independent and courageous. Although the other characters like Alice and Dorothy were pretty brave, Coraline seemed to always have things under control and didn't show if she was ever scared or worried. Coraline reminds me of Mina in a sense. With her witty personality and not caring too much what others think of her. It was definitely fun to read about a character like Coraline. She also had a sweet side to her which made her likeable. Overall, this book was a good read!

Gabriela said...

I liked the book Coraline, (maybe a little scary for young children, especially the pictures)what I Liked most is Coraline’s personality. This brave young girl who is unhappy with her life, her parents and the world that surrounds her. She explore her flat and find a hidden door. It gave me the impression that she was walking into the same flat but in another dimension. When the animals talked with her, and the whole environment was just more evil, it remained me the book of Alice in Wonderland. I liked to see a girl in this story like the heroine. I enjoyed reading this book, but I don’t know if my daughter wants to read it because she don’t like scary pictures or stories.