Monday, March 12, 2007

Skellig

This book has been extremely intriguing. I love how it is different than anything I have ever read. It is a complete mystery. I haven't finished it yet, but have gotten about half way through it. I cant wait to see what happens. I love the language they use and how easy it is to read. I also like that its not a fairytale that I know of.

Everything in the book ties together. For example, how Skellig and the baby are similar. They are both struggling to live. The baby is fightng for her life, but Skellig doesn't really seem to care about his life. He doesn't want help and he doesn't want to be healed. There are so many unanswered questions. Who is he? where did he come from? what is he doing there? is he an angel? Im excited to finish the book to hopefully find out the answers to these questions.

I like how they discuss shoulder blades being left over from having wings. I have never heard this before, but I like the mystery around it. So far, my guess would be that Skellig is some type of angel. For the baby girl, it's almost like she is a type of angel as well. As for Mina, I really like her. She reminds me of some type of hippie. I like how she looks at life and how she is taught by her mother. This book is definitely a page turner and I cant wait to see what happens!

3 comments:

Gabriela said...

I agree with you. I liked the book I did not finish yet but it was very interesting from the beginning. About Michael, a boy I think 13 years old moved with his family to a new house. His baby sister is ill and he is very concern about her. Michael found very interesting things in the garage of the house. The person who lived there was Ernie Myers, an old men. He was dead under the table in the kitchen at the time they found him. That is the only information Michael was having about him. Oh, and that he liked the dish 27, 53 in the menu of a Chinese restaurant. Michael’s parents were always very busy with the baby. So, Michael was always interested in going to the garage were he found something very conventional. He found a very interesting person in the garage. I think he is a strange beast. Michael thinks that he is an angel and he can help his sister ill. Michael has one particular friend Mina. He is the only person that knows about the creature, but he is looking the way to tell Mina about him.
I liked the book, I liked the way Michael name the people around him. This is a mystery and adventure story. I think this is a book for all family, maybe for children 12 years old and up. The story and the language was easy to follow and it is a very entertaining book. The only problem is that you can not stop reading.
I think David Almond used a magical realism in this book and I liked. I love books like that, like water for chocolate, the book it was full in magical realism on it.

Puppet of Jenova said...

This is one of my favorite all time books, I totally love it. I actually read this book for the first time a couple of semesters ago and ever since then, I feel in love with it.
Like you said Mandy, the book does a wonderful job tieing things together. Like you said, both Skellig and the baby are fighting to live, and when I read the book the first time around, thats what I found very interesting.
Skellig as a character is very interesting. I mean when youre reading the book and you see the details that are talked about (like his shoulder blades as Mandy said), one can not help but to want to learn everything about him.
Like I said, I was introduced to this book a few semesters ago and ever since then, it has found a place on my book shelf. I really enjoy reading this book and I think that its very creative and interesting for anyone, both child and adult.

Puppet of Jenova said...

I also wanted to say that in my opinion, I see Skellig as an angel, or something along those lines. I think it’s pretty cool how the book does not say anything about it though. It doesn’t try to convince the reader about who or what Skellig is, but rather, it allows the reader to think for him/herself and come to a conclusion about Skellig. I wanted to say that in my original post, but I couldn’t find a way to edit it, so I guess this is a continuation of my original post.